Forget- Me - Not.


Forget-me-not.
“As life grows longer - awful feels softer”, but some nights the mountain  in my chest feels magnificently monstrous.  It was on one of those evenings that my Mother would have described me “as having my tearbag too near my eye” that I first saw the Angel of Collections.
It was a moonlit evening where the sky resembled a Monet canvas.   A blur of light, a warmth, a presence, he sat slowly  waving his wings  to catch the memories as they flew like butterflies into his outstretched net. It was the formless and  the stillness, in the  maelstrom of dancing lights that surrounded my mothers bowed head.  
The water is  always  like lava in the nursing home taps  and I run the soft white flannel under it for a hand-scalding  minute. We all cry in the toilet here, except my brother who cries at home. The Angel is nestled  betwixt flowers and  photographs on the window sill.   Sparkling iridiscent pinks , lilacs, greens and golds, a myriad of coloured vibrations that as they leave her, he captures for all eternity.
 As I tenderly wipe the steaming cloth over her face she releases the sound of my childhood, a satisfied aaahhh, a protracted sigh.  It is my  final gift to her, and the only one she can respond in any way to. It is enough. And down through the years the childrens voices echo  “Ever this night be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide, Amen”.
As the Angel does not have a mouth he speaks  his  mind. He tells of all the forgotten things, and I watch  them appear in  shafts of sunlight,  rays of moonlight and  in the flecks of  sudden rain that speckle the glass like fat tears. He prompts me to chase and catch all  the tiny things ,  to access the vast recall that entwines us. Cleaning the food from my Mothers mouth , we bring to mind images and moments that are  plucked from  a pale  pink purse and released on tippytoes  into the room,  and  I watch them mingle with hers, in a dance of  remembrance. Some nights there are so many  lights   in the room that my Mother smiles.
She nuzzles into the cloth, feeling its warm scratchiness on her face. The new girl with the tea trolley knocks quietly now, and she is transfixed in the light from the hall, staring into the candle – lit vortex.
“Can I get you anything?” she asks while her eyes widen. Later she will tell the girls  – “It’s hard to describe really ............... a celebration ?  “ .
I  smile and say -  “ Thank-you,  but  we have absolutely everything we need. “


 ********************************************************************************
Michelle Mahon April 14th 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPENING DOORS

Frankly Speaking - An Essay - Part 1

GRAVITY - a dramatic review of a blanket